With a lot of uncertainty over the past few weeks- Its easy for stress levels to rise.
It feels as if a lot is happening, leaving some of us feeling overwhelmed! Without our 'Go- to' stress relievers such as a catch up with friends, a drink at the Pub or a massage, here are 5 essential oils that are proven to reduce stress
What are essential oils?
Firstly, an essential oil is a natural product extracted from a single plant species. Not all plants produce essential oils, and in the plants that do, the essential oil may be found in the roots, stems, leaves, flowers, or fruits. Essential oils are often used in aromatherapy, which is a form of alternative medicine. However, some of the health claims associated with them are controversial.
How essential oils are used?
Essential oils can be applied on skin and can also be inhaled. They cannot be swallowed. They can also be added into bath for their soothing effect. Essential oils can also be used as a diffuser.
1. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is derived from the peppermint plant which is a cross between water mint and spearmint that thrives in Europe and North America.Peppermint oil is commonly used as:
· Flavoring in foods and beverages
· As a fragrance in soaps and cosmetics.
· Peppermint oil also is used for a variety of health conditions.
· It can be taken orally in dietary supplements or topically as a skin cream or ointment.
2. Lavender Oil
Lavender essential oil is the most used essential oil in the world today, but the benefits of lavender were actually discovered over 2,500 years ago. Because of its powerful antioxidant, antimicrobial, sedative, calming and anti-depressive properties.Lavender oil benefits abound and it’s been used both cosmetically and therapeutically for centuries.
Some more benefits of Lavender oil:
· Improves brain functioning.
· Protection from diabetes.
· Skin protection and prevents from acne.
· Relieve pain and headaches.
· Improve sleep.
· Reduce anxiety and depression.
· Helps to heal burns and wounds.
The essential oil of sandalwood is extracted through steam distillation of wood from matured sandalwood trees which are 40-80 years old, although 80 years is preferred. The older the tree, the better the oil reserve and the stronger the aroma.
Here are some benefits of sandalwood:
· It is an antiseptic agent. It can be used both internally and externally.
· It can be used as an anti-inflammatory agent.
· Being a relaxant and sedative in nature, this oil works great against spasms. It helps in treating cramps, aches, and coughs.
· It is very effective on skin as it helps in removing scars.
· It can be also used for odor and as a deodorant.
4.Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil (or TTO) is an ingredient in many topic formulations that are used to treat infections, and it’s marketed as an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agent.
Here are some benefits of tea tree oil:
· It is a natural remedy for acne and other skin conditions.
· It helps to improve dry scalp.
· It fights with fungal, bacterial and viral infections.
· It helps in prevention from congestion.
5. Rose essential oil
Rose essential oil helps in:
· Sedating the inflammation.
· Treating wounds.
· Treating skin.
In addition to avoiding a potential skin reaction, diluting essential oils allows them to work better—when exposed to air alone, the molecules of the pure essential oils tend to evaporate very quickly.
Adding the essential oil to a carrier substance better facilitates the absorption of the oil by the body.
Here at TMacLife we produce our own line of Massage & Bath oils, named EarthKandi- infused with various essential oils
Shop Now to try our amazing blends!